Sunday 1 July 2007

The Namesake


I was familiarized with this movie/novel after seeing one odd episode of Koffee with Karan. Now this K factor brings with it a lot of compelling views, but with great difficulty let me restrict my thoughts to the concerned topic.

So I read the novel with a background noise that Tabu and Irfan have acted well in the movie. Needless to say, while reading it the faces of Mr and Mrs Ganguli were reserved for these two people. I generally don’t appreciate this. The best part about reading is to test the ability of the author to sketch a character. And the beauty of it that the same description draws a different canvas on every mind that reads it.

Never mind. Jhumpa Lahiri made me the director of this movie. I could imagine Tabu doing the things described in the novel and now after having seen the movie, I can’t differentiate between an actual scene from movie and my imaginative scenes not even included in the movie!

Very simplistic in approach - talks of nothing that we (Indians) already don’t know, yet in a way that is new. My feelings for Mr. GG keep changing all the time. He irks me at times especially when he refuses to visit his family to go on holiday with friend’s family. And empathize with him in two real sad moments of his life.
Well true to public opinion, Tabu did a fantatic job. But I would prefer to rate the novel with better points.

1 comment:

Pranav said...

A refreshingly phrased review... even i watched the Koffee with Karan Episode and since then want to see the movie... and after reading this cute review feel all the more tempted