Saturday 26 March 2011

I do

I saw a church wedding scene on TV and saw the couple getting happily married in such a simple ceremony. 
Questions asked and all they said was 'I do'. Thats it? This is all it takes to get married. Are words enough? Is this the power of words?

It brought back fond memories of Luis. In one seminar he talked about taking responsibilty for your words. As an interesting experiment, he explained to us the meaning of 'I'll try'. A young man was called upon the stage and Luis asked him to 'try to lift the table'. The young man smiled, looked confused and did something. Whatever he did, fell in 2 categories - either he was lifting the table, or he was not lifting the table. There was no stage where we could say 'he is trying to lift the table'.

At that moment, the critic in me woke up. I knew that this is just one off case and probably a bad example - just to prove a point. We don't have to take these words so literally and so seriously. 
There are times we have to say "I'll try", and why create such a big fuss? Yet this incidence stayed with me and gradually even started irking me, when I heard poeple use such words simply out of habbit and without thinking.

There was a time, when people used to  say 'I give you my word'. That meant something. People could give/take life to keep their words. 

Think about it how many times we use it - in recent past? ever? And even if you said, did you stick to it?

Some learned men say, don't under estimate the power of positive words. They affect our lives and the way we perceive and do things.

Most of the conversations I hear these days, include words like 'think so', 'will try', 'yes, but, 'may be'. Ask a friend will you join me to gym tomorrow morning. 'Yes, I'll try'. What does this mean?
a) 'You want to keep it felxible, depending on your mood?
b) 'You can come only if some other task is taken care of'
c) 'What if the alarm doesn't ring?
d) 'You don't want to go early, but can't say a No
etc etc

If it is 'd' then that is a different topic and a far more serious issue.

It is the a,b,c that I want to write more about. If you think about it, all three statements demand a certain kind of responsibilty. If you say 'yes', you have to make it important and make sure that alarm rings, you have to be in control of what you want to do, instead of letting the mood rule over you, and ensure that the important task is taken care of.

Why not say - 'No' or 'Yes' or in worst case 'I'll consider it and let you know'.

You can feel the difference in what might seem like a 'play of words'. We do this un-conciously all the time. For a change say things that you mean and then take responsibility for it. If you say 'Yes' to something, make it important and do it. If it doesn't work out AFTER you tried 100% to make it important, say sorry and mean it. But say it only if you know you did your best, not 'tried your best'. Else saying sorry is again another way of not taking responsibility.

People say 'I do' and get married, not "I think I do" or "May be I do" or "I do, but not sure".!
~~~~~~~~~~

Note: Luis is the man who changed my approach to life and of many others. In the beginning of ISA experience he said - 'This experience will be for 4 days (Thursday to Sunday)', but the real ISA experience will begin when you wake up on Monday. He was right. Almost every word he said in those 4 days, made more and more sense as an after-thought. Its been almost one year, and I feel that even now suddenly out of no-where, I recollect something I heard from Luis and understood the meaning of it now!http://www.isaexperience.com/

No comments: