Wednesday 6 July 2011

'Mitaahar' - So much to be thankful for

While reading a book on loosing weight (and not your mind), I came across this term. It has a very sweet tone to it.
It means to have a wholesome nutritiuos meal in right quantity and most importantly using all 5 sensory organs - touch, smell, see, hear, and of course taste.

Thanks to the Indian way of eating food, we do actually eat food with hand. Now the use of cutlery is surely integral, but at-least at home we eat with our hands. Keeping the spoon only for liquids like dal.

So today morning, I kept my spoon down to eat my sprouted moong dal with hands. Felt the tender sprouts, the juicy tomato, the coarse onions, the thin coriander leaves.
Heard them crunch with every bite, the smell of coriander and tomatoes dominated with hint of sprout and onions in background.It tasted heavenly.

Seeing food might not seem a big deal, until you actually start 'seeing'. Just now I consumed a bowl of curd. My spoon made its way into the bowl and almost without disturbing the consistency of curd in the bowl, out came a spoonfull ready to be eaten. It almost looked like a jelly :)

It feels so great to be on this break and in probably the most peaceful place you can be (in India). The summer heat is ready to say goodbye and the rains are playing hide and seek.

Still its that time of the year when even at 2 pm I can sit near the balcony door without any gadget moderating the temperature and feel the soft wind playing with my hair.

While eating food in this way, I felt grateful to the chain of people who helped in bringing this to me. Started with the milkman, then the cow that gave the milk and so on and so forth. Going on this endless chain I ended up thanking the entire universe.
No wonder it is said that we must offer our food to God first and then consume it as 'prasad'

No comments: