Wednesday 6 July 2011

Don't touch me

DON'T TOUCH ME, don't touch me, don't touch me ........don't touch me! I screamed. I'll fall if you even try to touch me, don't touch me. 'Ok' he said, looking tired and sitting a meter away from me, on the edge of the roof we were trying to climb.


Now this was no mount everest, just the roof top of our home in Nasirabad cantonement.
I took a deep breath, giggling a little and then cursing those who didn't build a stairway to the roof. (No reaction from the other side)


We do have a spacious terrace on same level as our first floor home, but its different to be on roof top. We were using an iron ladder to reach the top and have an un-obstructed view of the surrounding and the sky.


So here I was standing on the ladder mustering every ounce of courage to climb the remaining 1 feet of my 12 odd feet climb. I had a flashback of the time I was trying to jump from one castle wall to another (that's in old blog), and of the time when as a kid of 12 something, I used climb like a monkey and then jump like a frog from 10 feet height easily.


I didn't want to give up, so I thought of a cool strategy.
'Come and hold me', I said! I am sure I saw a flicker of anger even in the dark. :)
Hold my arms, DON'T touch my hands and DON'T pull me even one bit. 'Ok' he said with assurance.


I am sure I would have been pissed off by now if the roles were swapped, but he patiently (and lovingly) came and held my arms.  I took the last 3 steps and he hauled me up on the last step.


All this just to see the roof? Sounds like an over-kill, but when we lied there silently gazing at the sky, all the efforts seemed worth it.


(M)"wish we could sleep here".
(G)'Yeah, we can do that'.
(M) We'll need a mosquito net (G) and a bamboo pole (M) no not one two of them, else the net will fall on our face.
(G) Fine I'll send someone to get it (M) No we'll get it ourselves, we need to choose our colour
(G-puzzled) o.o..ok, sure, ummm which colour?
(M) You know, pink, blue something like that, we can even get half pink and half blue
(G- didn't get my attempt to a bad joke) huh !!?? (M) boys like blue ,,, ummm, leave it...
(M- after 5 min) don't we have the camping net we bought in Stockholm?!
I could sense, he is smiling.


Out came the tent, mats, pillows, bed sheet and we spent a wonderful night under the virgin sky in fresh air. Woke up to the chirping of birds and the loud cacaophony by peacocks.


And yes, how we managed to take all that to the roof using the same ladder, I leave to reader's imagination :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd say WAAAAOOOOWWW!! Looks like someone knows how to make the best out of a dull usual evening.....You made me remember my days as a newly wed....Wishing you a new romantic episode everyday....always!!!!